Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Rest of the Month with Jaclyn

It was such a fun and whirlwind month having Jackie with us. I don't think I've ever gone at such a pace since having kids, we were up to something every single day. Most of those things involved bringing the kids with us, but every once and a while we got lucky and were able to go by ourselves. Once of those days we went to the art museum. We'd been there once before, but this time we were able to absorb all of it without worrying about my children destroying anything. It was really cool, I already hope I can go back again sometime.





Another day was spent at Fort Washington Park so Jackie could run the Miles for Smiles for the Haiti club. Glenn was volunteering and I thought it was really cool that she was willing to do that to donate to the cause. I would have run it too, but...uh...I'd just sprai..busy, ANYWAY...



We spent a couple of times at Ocean City too, sometimes with friends, sometimes by ourselves. It had definitely gotten busy by then, but still a lot of fun. We learned the second time that if we wanted to go where it was less busy, to go OFF the boardwalk. We love the beach though. I just need to get my son to love it. Towards the end we would find him lying face down in the sand, what a life!





Camping was definitely on the agenda, and since we were able to go on a weeknight, we didn't have to worry about bothering our neighbors (can you tell I have an issue with crowds?). We had a great spot at French Creek, right in front of the bathrooms, with a playground right around the corner. I wish we'd been able to stay a bit longer, but still a lot of fun. The kids loved catching fireflies and roasting hotdogs. The next day we found the craziest looking slug, I kind of liked his little face!






We also got to spend an afternoon at the Eastern State Penetentiary, a place that I've been wanting to check out for a while. It was fascinating! I had no clue how old it was, or how much history was behind it. Definitely a cool experience, I'd recommend it to anyone.




We had a few nice picnics around town (I probably packed that cooler a hundred times), including one at Valley Forge, with a mandatory visit to Zwahlen's afterward, mmmm.




One of the very last days we spent together we got the whole day to go to Peddler's Village. I'd heard about this place quite a while ago and it's been on my list for a long time. This was my very favorite day of the month. We got to roam around all the cute (and surprisingly inexpensive) boutiques and shops, eat at a nice restaurant with no interuptions, and soak up the pretty surroundings. I also got to try gelato for the first time, good stuff! Two days after our Peddler's Village trip, we hopped on the plan together (sans Glenn, he had to study for boards, sniff!) and went to Idaho for the month. Now that I'm home, I really miss my sister, but I'm so glad we got to spend so much great time together!


4 comments:

jor said...

I love the picture of the two of you squinting into the sun!

Mike and Amber said...

So excited you got to enjoy the Art Museum without the kiddos and I am so glad you made it to Easter State! I loved that place!!

sara cardon said...

Yea!! What an awesome visit!! The penetentiary is one place we never made it...kinda glad b/c it looks pretty creepy.:)

Alissa said...

So glad you got to have so much time with your family this summer. totally takes the edge off of having a husband in dental school huh?! Your energy is impressive! I love how much stuff you were able to do!!! Fun!